Hi,

Jonathan Dowland wrote towards Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside:
> > I've seen that they
> > sometimes reply privately to people's posts on the list.
> > [...] you accidentally replied to their mail, back to the list.

Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside:
> Maybe this is obvious for you, but for myself, I don't take note of
> who's "on the list" and "who's not". So if someone reply to me regarding
> a message that was posted on the list, there's pretty good chance that
> I'll reply "on the list".

Well, if it's about the replies to
  Subject: Re: OFFLIST: Gnome desktop removal messed up machine
then it seems to have been Gunnar Gervin who got the private mail and
replied to the list.
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/08/threads.html
Compare the Cc: headers in
and in the reply by Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside

As for who is subscribed, i look for the word "LDOSUBSCRIBER" in the
mail header "X-Spam-Status:". If i don't see it with a thread starting mail,
then i add a Cc with the mail address of the thread starter.

Some regular participants of this list are not subscribed by their sender
mail address, though. So their mails show no "LDOSUBSCRIBER". Some mails
show a hint in their signature:
Hopefully i don't use too many Cc by mistake.

Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside:
> It would also solve the problem of people using the list to spam about
> dating site or offering different services.

Spam is really rare here. You mentioned "wanna meet" offers, recently.
Are you sure they came via the list and not from a sender who harvested
your mail address from the list and maybe uses a fake "From:" header ?
The chain of "Received:" headers can tell where the mail entered the
somewhat trustworthy part of the road towards your mailbox.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas