Hi,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:22:17 -0400
rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:

(...)

> > But the law today gives me
> > automatic copyright over what I write without additional public
> > notice, I think for 90 years after I die.
>
> Something like that, but doesn't sound quite right (wish I had a better
> memory).  Previously copyrighted works are coming into the "public
> domain" year by year, about 95 years after -- oh, maybe it is after the
> author's death?  Maybe there is an alternate path to copyright
> expiring?  Not sure how it works if a corporation owns a copyright -- I
> don't think it is perpetual.

according to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths

it's typically Life + 70 years in the U.S., the U.K. and the E.U.
(though, depending on the country, in some cases copyright duration may be
different); in other countries from a quick glance the range seems to be
from 0 (Marshall Islands), Life (Kosovo) to Life + 100 years (Mexico),
with Life + 50 years and Life + 70 years being the most common.

Have a nice day,

Michael

Power is danger.
                -- The Centurion, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2