Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> For whatever it's worth,  I have no problems with a text-based login screen
> and then typing startx once I've logged in,  which is pretty typical of my
> Slackware installations anyhow.  The copy of Slackware that's running my
> server machine doesn't even have a GUI installed on it.  But where would I
> make that change?

  don't waste any more time trying to upgrade from a version that
ancient.  back up your data that you really care about and then
do a fresh install from the most recent stable version.

  i always come up with a desktop that has all my projects
set up and ready to go in various sets of terminals.  the
one terminal i fire up first is the one where i log in as
root, bring up the network and then do my morning updates
and upgrade(s) (as needed).  i do this daily because i run
testing most of the time so i do want to check out what is
being updated recently.  sounds like you would be better
off with stable.  :)

  songbird