On Saturday 25 September 2021 06:08:23 pm Andy Smith wrote:
> The release of the three newer stable versions of Debian seems to have
> happened without you noticing.

Life has handed me a whole mess of things to deal with over the past year or
two...

> If you remain subscribed to this mailing list then you will surely read here
> about the release of
> Debian 12 (bookworm), but if you want a very low traffic announcements feed
> then you could subscribe to the debian-announce
> list instead:
>
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/
>
> It's only received 6 emails so far this year:
>
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2021/threads.html

I *do* have that list flowing in here,  along with Debian News and Debian
Security.  I guess I need to give it some more attention?

> > consulted the release notes about how one might go about upgrading,  and
> > from the latest on back each one says something to
> > the effect of only being able to upgrade from the last major version,  so
> > if there's a good way to do this whole thing at once
> > I'd sure like to hear about it.
>
> Yes, upgrades are only supported from one release to another, so if you wish
> to upgrade this machine you're going to have to consult the
> release notes for Debian 9 about upgrading from 8.x to 9.x, and then the
> release notes for Debian 10, and so on until you are at Debian
> 11.x.

I have multiple tabs open in my browser to just those things.

> It's not supported to go directly from 8 to 11 (or even from 8 to 10) and
> trying to do so will probably end in failure.
>
> Or you could just reinstall and then put your data files back in
> place from your backups. That may be quicker.

Maybe,  but I'm not sure that I want to go there at the moment.

> > The only thing that works there is to log in as a regular user, and then
> > use the su command to get there.  A bit of a pain.  Where
> > in the software is this controlled?  I really would like to change this
> > behavior,  if at all possible.
>
> I am not aware of any modern desktop environment that allows to log in and
> run the entire GUI as root, for reasons you said you didn't
> want to hear about. Someone else may be able to suggest some alternate
> desktop environment that allows this.

Well,  I guess we'll see what turns up in the messages then.

-
M Dakin