> Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 3:36 AM
> From: "Greg Wooledge" <g...@wooledge.org>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 -
> Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)
>
> [.....}
>
> It's also worth pointing out that these bitwise operations are *lightning*
> fast for computers to do.  They're extremely efficient.  CPUs have
> dedicated circuitry to do them.

Thanks Greg for the detailed tutorial on what netmask is and does.

> Let's get back to Debian for a moment.
>
> Debian doesn't use "iwd" (whatever that is) to configure network
> interfaces.  Whatever created this file, it's not being used.

Oh.....

> Debian uses /etc/network/intefaces, which is a file documented by
> the man page interfaces(5).  Any interface that's correctly defined in
> this file will be configured by it.

I confirm that /etc/network/interfaces has been correctly configured because I
am able to use a wired LAN connection to sudo apt upgrade and what not.

> If network-manager (NM) is installed, it will try to configure any
> interfaces that are *not* defined in /etc/network/interfaces.  On some
> systems, this means NM is the primary means of configuring interfaces.
> On others, it may only do the wireless interfaces, while /e/n/i does
> the ethernet ones.  On still other systems, NM might do nothing, or it
> might not even be installed at all.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation about what NM does. However according
to the tutorials that I read on the internet, NM and wpasupplicant must be
uninstalled prior to installing the package iwd.

> Debian also allows you to configure interfaces using some crazy systemd
> thing.  This isn't done by any of the supported installation task sets.

What did you mean by "installation task sets"? Did you mean the tasksel stage
of the installation process where we get to choose to install a Gnome DE, KDE
DE, LXQT DE etc?