On Thu 30 Sep 2021 at 14:11:51 (-0400), Lee wrote:
> On 9/30/21, Stella Ashburne  wrote:
> >> Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:48 PM
> >> From: to...@....de
> >> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 10:14:05AM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> This remark was, IMO, unnecessary: after all, that's how we learn around
> >> here,
> >> don't we?
> >>
> >> At least that's how I learn.
> >>
> > Bingo. I couldn't agree with you more.
>
> Seriously!!?  My wireless is slow, so I've been sort of following this
> thread in case something useful (to me :-) gets mentioned, but all the
> learning being done seems to be of the negative "this doesn't work"
> flavour,,
>
> Why not stick with standard procedure and follow
>   https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
>
> That at least seems to be a better bet for getting a working wireless
> connection that you can then improve upon later.

 "it's also possible to nearly base your entire networking stack on
  one codebase with IWD alone. It's an all-in-one wireless client,
  wireless daemon, and even a DHCP client optionally! At its best, your
  entire networking stack can be as minimal as IWD + systemd-resolved,
  and this works wonderfully for many scenarios. It has virtually zero
  dependencies and uses modern kernel features as often as
  possible. Anecdotal reports suggest that it's much faster to connect
  to networks than wpa_supplicant, and has better roaming support,
  among other perceived improvements."

I like the idea of better roaming support. But even at home, I want a
connection method that occasionally "goes to sleep" and means crossing
the house to sort it out.

 'If "EnableNetworkConfiguration=true" is set, you'll also need to
  configure IWD's name resolving service. It supports systemd-resolved
  and resolvconf.'

Currently I run resolvconf. As I wrote elsewhere, I've not delved into
how systemd has disturbed things.

Anyway, AIUI this wiki page seems to assume that you're converting a
running WiFi from wpa_supplicant to iwd, rather than setting up iwd
from scratch. So it (again, seems to) lack too many troubleshooting
methods for those doing the latter on a new installation.

Cheers,
David.