On Tue 12 Oct 2021 at 01:12:21 (-0400), Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 10/11/21, detr...@tuta.io <detr...@tuta.io> wrote:
> > Hello friends, I'm sending this last email to inform you that I have given
> > up on trying to recover the contents of my external hard drive and that I
> > formatted it.
> > Thank you to every single one of you who spared their time to try and help
> > me.
> > On one last note, I should I drag attention to what seemed to be a bug on
> > the boot screen that asked for my LUKS password: It considered backspaces as
> > a normal character. I type my password and it shows an asterisk on the
> > screen for every character I type - instead of deleting the asterisk, the
> > backspace key created one more asterisk each time I pressed it.
>
> DISCLAIMER: Mine doesn't display the asterisks, but maybe this is
> still somehow what's occurring that causes that asterisks to appear
> where they aren't expected.
>
> This sounds like a twist on something that's aggravating for me on the
> "console" reached via e.g. "CTRL+F3". It happens with my user name
> when I'm typing too fast ahead of the speed of my brain.
>
> Mine occurs with a fairly basic debootstrapped XFCE4's "console". I'll
> type in my username then hit TAB the way I normally do via the initial
> GUI login screen. For those console logon instances, I should be
> hitting ENTER immediately after the username. If I backspace to
> eliminate the TAB's blank space addition to my username instead of
> attempting CTRL+C to start over, the logon attempt fails.
>
> All I can figure is that it's treating both the TAB and backspace
> keyboard actions as necessary keystroke parts of the logon name. Since
> they're not, that's apparently why it fails. If that is by intentional
> design, repeated personal experience has been that... it works!

I don't know what a CTRL+F3 console is, and googling this only hints
that it might be   /xfwm4/custom/<Control>F3 workspace_3_key   and
/xfwm4/default/<Control>F3 workspace_3_key, whatever that is.

So my first step would be to find out what process it is that you're
typing into when all this occurs.

> Something similar also occurs for the password. I can backspace all I
> want in a GUI xfce4-terminal window, and it works fine after the
> proper password is eventually entered (e.g. for gaining root
> privileges). On that CTRL+F3 console, it appears to treat each
> corrective backspace action as a deliberate, additional keystroke part
> of the password instead of as a user correcting a typing error.

Ditto.

> It occurred to me to try the same thing to run "apt-get update" while
> over there in the CTRL+F3 console. The password works fine no matter
> how many TAB and backspace entries a user makes after one successfully
> logs in to get to that point of access.

Ditto, and what's asking for a password with apt-get?

Pinning down the exact process might not be straightforward or
particularly productive. My own attempt (an asterisk occurrence) was
fairly fruitless as the answer appeared to be udisksctl, which under
other circumstances emits no asterisks.

Cheers,
David.