On 10/17/21 8:38 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 10/17/21 2:12 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
normally when a storm comes through i turn off the PC anyways because
I really don't want to have things fried (even if i do have the UPS
and surge protection).

Hmmm does turning them off make any difference w.r.t a surge large
enough to pass through the surge suppression?

I thought the only effective way to make a difference is to
*unplug* them.

+1 if you service is overhead and your concern is lightning strikes.

David

You should unplug the charger to the laptop from the AC line AND
from the laptop, and don't forget to disconnect the LAN if it is wired.
However, you can't disconnect everything in the computer area or
you'll go crazy! It would be a good idea to disconnect the router from
the modem and from power. I got a bad hit from lightning in July,
and it did take out the router and a desktop and a laptop, and damaged
a printer, not to mention other devices around the house--like the TV,
ferinstance!
--doug