On Sun 17 Oct 2021 at 17:36:19 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 01:23:34PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I guess this problem is not related to the .profile issue you are
> > > having below.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > > Check the permissions on the mount point
> >
> > done, I still own it.

"done" doesn't quite cover it. We don't know whether something was
mounted on the mount point (which means that the ownership/permissions
apply to the something, not to the mount point), or not (in which case
you see the ownership/permissions of the mount point itself). You made
this error back in February.

> > > and the fstab
> >
> > its not in fstab, never was.

Which suggests that the real mount point ownership/permissions will be
important.

> > I touched a file in
> > home/gene/Downloads/3dp.stf named sdb1 to create a mount I didn't have
> > to search thru /media to access.
> >

> What on EARTH? This is a very [s]trange way to do this, I think.

Yes, no idea what all that is about.

> Either put it in fstab at which point it will alwsays be found or learn
> where it's mounted under /media - which will be consistent, maybe?
> Interestingly,mounting an SD card that fits an SD card slot gave me one path,
> a micro-SDin a holder gave me another but they were always consistent.

My own experience is that the ID (/dev/disk/by-id) varies by what the SD
is pushed into, whereas the Path (/dev/disk/by-path) varies by the PC's
socket that it's plugged into (which could of course be the same).

So any card that's pushed into an SD→USB holder will get the ID of
the holder, but its Path will depend on the USB socket plugged into.

In the absence of any more specific information (ie, a known LABEL or
UUID), I configure fstab to mount the device on /media/slot or
/media/white as appropriate. I find that the easiest way to avoid
confusing two "foreign" SD cards. (The holder is white.)

I assume that microSD→SD converters are passive, as they all behave
as effectively "invisible". I'm not sure how I would test this,
though, because the only microSD slots I have are in mobile phones
and Rokus etc.

> > Up until this 5 second power failure, I could, as me, mount that SD card
> > there, and use mc, as me, to overwrite a file on that card, then sync;
> > eject sdb1. Led on card adapter goes out, pull the card, take it back to
> > the printer and select and print the updated file.  Now I have to be
> > root to do any of it except the printer. The card is vfat, which has no
> > concept of file ownership.

Not intrinsically, but ownership/permissions can be imposed upon
mounting it (uid,gid,umask,fmask,dmask).

I think you were using usbmount at one time, and also that you were
having problems with undesired automounting, but I haven't looked
back for details, as I think your configuration is probably too
different from mine for me to be any help with this specific power
outage symptom.

> > > The SD card might also need a fsck.
> >
> > by whose fsck?
>
> Make sure it's not mounted, then fsck the device. Probably dosfstools is
> needed.

In my experience, cards and sticks that want a fsck just emit a
message in the logs, rather than refusing to be mounted:

  FAT-fs (sdc1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt.
Please run fsck.

That may differ with gross corruption, but I'd expect a lot more noise
in the logs, were that the case.

> > > AFAIK bash is not reading profile when you login, but not sure - it
> > > could be also that it is not a login shell.
> >
> > XFCe login, I think. I only see it once on that machine. logging in
> > remotely with "ssh -Y machine-name" or 'user1000'@machine-name is how I
> > generally run things from a comfy chair.
> >
> > > AFAIK you should open the terminal with "bash --login" to read the
> > > profile. So try in the terminal "bash --login"

Perhaps start at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/08/msg00196.html
and work up the thread. That might answer thing (2.), and could even
suggest why a power outage followed by a reboot could change things,
if you'd altered the configuration since the last boot.

Cheers,
David.