On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:41:37 +0100
Linux-Fan <ma_sys...@web.de> wrote:

> Nate Bargmann writes:
>
> > * On 2021 26 Nov 11:36 -0600, Celejar wrote:

> > > I finally got tired of seeing tofu for some of the glyphs in your sig,
> > > so I looked up their Unicode codepoints:
> >
> > Interestingly, I see the glyphs in Mutt running in Gnome Terminal and in
> > Vim as I edit this in the same Gnome Terminal.  My font is one
> > installed locally, Droid Sans Mono Slashed which provides the zero
> > character with a slash.
> >
> > I know that there is keyboard sequence in Gnome Terminal (Ctl-Shift-E
> > then Space) to bring up a menu to select Unicode glyphs.
> >
> > 🐮
> >
> > - Nate
>
> I use the cone e-mail client in rxvt-unicode with the Terminus bitmap font
> and I see only the icon next to `j...@debian.org`. Apart from that, the

Yes, that one seems to be included in "normal" system fonts - I, too,
saw it before I installed the noto fonts.

> first line of the signature has two squares, the third line one and the post

The two squares is apparently because the "person with blond hair" has
a "light skin tone" modifier:

https://emojipedia.org/person-light-skin-tone-blond-hair/

> by Nate has a single square, too.
>
> I can view the glyphs correctly by saving the mail as text file and opening
> it with mousepad. `aptitude search ~inoto` returns the following here:
>
> | idA fonts-noto-color-emoji    - color emoji font from Google
> | i A fonts-noto-core           - "No Tofu" font families with large
> | i A fonts-noto-extra          - "No Tofu" font families with large
> | i A fonts-noto-mono           - "No Tofu" monospaced font family wi
> | i A fonts-noto-ui-core

Okay, so when mousepad is showing the glyphs, it's presumably using the
noto fonts.

> I am pretty fine with _not_ seeing the correct glyphs by default given that
> I do not want fancy colorful icons in my terminals anyway :)

:/

Celejar