On Sat 18 Dec 2021 at 11:24:34 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:

> > > Yeah,  but why the heck did this get turned on in the first place?  Or
> > > even installed?
> >
> > One might hypothesise that
> > . you run KDE, and KDE makes cvhanges that aren't always popular with
> >   every user.
> > . KDE recommends kdeaccessibility depends on kaccessible.
> > . KDE make changes to kaccessible for people who require and use it.
> >   Seems reasonable.
>
> Yeah,  except that I don't run KDE.  I do have it installed,  to be able to
> access certain programs that come with it,  but my desktop environment of
> choice is currently Xfce.

My understanding is that when you install a package like KDE,
there's an assumption that you'll probably want to run it, and
so it configures the system on that basis.

I should point out that kdeaccessibility is only recommended by
kde-full and task-kde-desktop. I see nothing that even recommends
kde-full. The full live-task-kde obviously depends on
task-kde-desktop, but I assume you didn't install that; only
education-desktop-kde recommends task-kde-desktop. So I can't
see why you would need to install anything that pulled in
kdeaccessibility if you're just running KDE programs.

> > > Under Slackware it's a very old version of KDE,  which I much prefer to
> > > the newer stuff.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I meant above. I think there's a cohort who use TDE
> > instead.
>
> I have looked into that,  but haven't gone there (yet).  Not sure if I'm
> going to.
>
> (snip)
>
> There remains the sound issue in the virtualbox.  Could it be that Debian
> isn't running PulseAudio but something else?  That would account for the
> guest OS not being able to talk to it...

No idea; you'd have to check this for yourself. ISTR there may be
issues with pulseaudio if it's running as a system daemon rather
than for the logged-in user, but I don't know the details.

Cheers,
David.