On Sunday 02 January 2022 09:56:14 pm David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 18 Dec 2021 at 11:24:34 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > On Friday 17 December 2021 11:53:20 am David Wright wrote:
> > Yeah,  except that I don't run KDE.  I do have it installed,  to be able to
> > access certain programs that come with it,  but my desktop environment of
> > choice is currently Xfce.
>
> My understanding is that when you install a package like KDE,
> there's an assumption that you'll probably want to run it, and
> so it configures the system on that basis.

When I first installed I selected multiple different desktop environments,  so
I could try them out.  I did not expect that ones that I was not running would
have any effect in the one that I was running...

(snip)
> > There remains the sound issue in the virtualbox.  Could it be that Debian
> > isn't running PulseAudio but something else?  That would account for the
> > guest OS not being able to talk to it...
>
> No idea; you'd have to check this for yourself. ISTR there may be
> issues with pulseaudio if it's running as a system daemon rather
> than for the logged-in user, but I don't know the details.

Running pulseaudio --start fixed that problem,  but now I show two instances of
it runninng.

In the one that was running to start with,  the command line shown to me in
system monitor includes "daemonize=no".  I would guess that to be the problem,
but why is that in there?  And where do I fix it?  I also see "parent systemd"
and after a bit of poking around in there I'm rather thoroughly confused,  not
at all sure where I'd have to fix this.  Although
/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudioi.service seems pertinent.  Why would that have
"daemonize=no" in there?

-
M Dakin