On Thursday, February 10, 2022 4:37:22 AM EST Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 06:50:49PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 2/9/22 08:02, notoneofmyseeds wrote:
> > > I'd suggest an SSD if you have one. Or, perhaps a recommended USB
> > > stick. Perhaps someone here has suggestions for such stick that
> > > maintains r/w over a while and is fast.
> >
> > I am looking for a small (~16 GB), low power, high-endurance,
> > solid-state storage device with a USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0+ type-A plug,
> > powered by a USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0+ type-A receptacle, which is
> > designed to be used as a system drive.  I would use it to install
> > and run commercial and FOSS OS's (Windows, macOS, Debian and
> > FreeBSD) on SBC's, laptops, tablets, desktops, workstations,
> > servers, etc..
>
> Corsair do a ruggedised USB stick - starts at 16G or 32G if you can
> find them - I think which is USB 3.1
> and blazingly fast but expensive. I got the Corsair 128 GB Voyager GTX
>
> Some queries about copying large >8G files around - speeds vary in
> reviews but it's solid. What's high-endurance in your terms?
>
> > STFW most USB disk-on-module (DOM) devices are designed for a
> > motherboard with 0.1" 10-pin connector, motherboard space, and
> > motherboard threaded boss (for mounting screw);  e.g. server
> > motherboards only.
> >

> > STFW I found Cactus Technologies USB flash drives; but they are
> > design for storage, not OS, and I was unable to find a retailer:
> >
> > https://www.cactus-tech.com/
> >

> > STFW I see the Buffalo SSD-PUT; I am unclear which USB standards it
> > supports (I need USB 2.0 and 3.0):
> >
> > https://www.buffalotech.com/products/ssd-put-rugged-and-portable-soli
> > d-state-drive-stick
> >

> > As an alternative, StarTech makes two USB to sata adapter/ cables.  I
> > need to do more search to see if my SSD's are compatible:
> >
> > https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb

I think its this one or maybe a predesessor that I have 2 of plugged into
my rpi4, used as a kernel and LinuxCNC development system with a total of
360G of SSD storage. The pi's swap has been moved to them also. They have
Just Worked now for close to 2 years. Plugged unto the rpi4's usb-3
ports, the speed limit is the pi, not the drives. Either speed tests at
just under 600mbytes/second, on the pi.

Generally, I've found startech stuff to be as advertised, it just works.

> > https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb312sat3cb
>
> I think I've got one of these which is running to an old SSD and is
> alos fine.
>
> All best, as ever,
>
> Andy Cater
>
> > Comments/ suggestions?