David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> writes:

> I am looking for a small (~16 GB), low power, high-endurance,
> solid-state storage device with a USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0+ type-A plug,
> powered by a USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0+ type-A receptacle, which is designed
> to be used as a system drive.  I would use it to install and run
> commercial and FOSS OS's (Windows, macOS, Debian and FreeBSD) on
> SBC's, laptops, tablets, desktops, workstations, servers, etc..

I don't know if it's relevant to your case but when I wanted a USB SSD a
few years ago, I just bought a case from eBay I think. Brand was "JEYI"
and they advertized the control chip used and TRIM support right in the
subject.

The case is a little wider than a usual USB memory sticks and takes
standard m.2 SSDs. Only the smaller physical sizes though, I think 2240
and 2232 which aren't that common any more. But back then Sandisk 2240
120 GB SSDs were common and it's still going strong.

These days looks like the 2280 form factor dominates and 120 GB is the
cheapest size. Smaller ones are around, both physical and capacity but
they cost more. Oh and JEYI still makes USB adapter cases for m.2 SSDs.