On 2022-03-04 11:47 UTC+0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> One of my memory slot has died, so I am running a Thinkpad with 2GB ram
> only. I have been told that, even if I put a 4GB ram module in, it won't
> be as fast as 2x2GB ram (true? Stop me here if I am wrong). Never mind
> put an 8GB stick; it might not even work.

As far as I know this depends on the design / architecture of the
chipset / motherboard.

> At the moment I'm running a heavily hacked LMDE4 (Buster) with a lot of
> Mint customisations off. What flavour of Debian should I replace my
> LMDE4 with? And does it make any difference? My memory hogs are Chromium
> and Firefox, the rest is ok.
You should run Debian stable for daily use. If performance is your main
concern, try one of the light desktop environments (Xfce, LXDE,
LXQT...). I like the simplicity of LXQT, although I have recently fallen
in love with Cutefish (not yet in Debian).

Regards,
Christian

--
http://www.cb-fraggle.de