>   iwd               Highly functional & low resource & DHCP client.

Thank you for your informative and useful account of iwd. Apologies
if my snipping is too brutal :).

It is almost a no-brainer to eastablish a wireless link with iwd. I
think the single command

  iwctl station wlan0 connect YourSSI

should do it. Having said that, it is interesting that a user of a
presently defunct graphical GUI would choose to take this path.

The projected demise of wpasupplicant is premature. For my my use it
perfecactly fits my needs. The main advantage ove iwd is that it
integrates very nicely with ifupdown with staticc and roaming setups.
wpsgui is also a very assistive utility. OTOH, the Debian iwd package
does not provide any integration with ifupdown and no one as get has
published a GUI frontend for it.

However, your post inspired me. The installed size of iwd is a fifth
that of wpasuppicant. I have machines with only 1 GB of disk space.
That is a significant saving. So I have ended up with iwd on one of
them and, with a static stanza in /en/i, can integrate with ifupdown
to some degree. Happy camping, as they say :).

Thanks again for giving me some incentive and a bit of fun.

--
Brian.