On 27.04.2022 16:06, Tom Browder wrote:
I am trying to replace the original hard drive on an old Toshiba laptop with a 1 TB SSD from Crucial. (I had recently successfully done that in an old Dell Latitude and had no problems.)

I first did a clean install of Debian 11 on the old drive to ensure the laptop works okay. Then I installed the new SSD and it can't find the drive. From what I can find at Crucial, I need to install their Storage Executive program on a Windows host, look up the SSD to a USB/SATA connector on that host, and configure or install the firmware onto the SSD.

I've never heard anything like that and I've worked with many consumer-grade SSDs. Usually all SSDs "just work". They may come pre-partitioned and pre-formatted, but this could be reconfigured with any standard utility programs. The only thing I can think of, is that it could require usage of some vendor-specific proprietary software to setup hardware encryption and/or
to update currently flashed firmware to newer versions.

I think, you've encountered a hardware compatibility issue between an old ICH controller on the host and a SATA controller on the SSD drive. Some Samsung SSDs with their custom drive controller ICs were affected by this issue, refusing to work with some older chipsets and at lower SATA speeds. I suspect it could be done on purpose, because vendor doesn't want to look bad when people benchmark their new drive and post sub-par results online.

Can you provide exact model\make of your host and the SSD drive?

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org