On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 03:11:22PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> So, perhaps there were no issues with openat, but when reading
> the directory, the file could not be found because some internal
> structures might have been incomplete.

If so, this is a bug at the kernel level, perhaps in the VFS code
or a file system driver.  I'm no expert on such things.

> To the question why this doesn't occur every time or at least more
> often: there might have been an interrupt at the wrong place, or
> something like that.

It's going to be extremely hard to make any progress on your issue if
you can't reliably reproduce the outcome.  Frustrating as that may be.

Are you able to reproduce the issue at all, even like 1% of the time?
If so, you could set up a script that sometimes reproduces, and run it
in a loop until you get the erroneous behavior.  Of course, the script
would have to generate enough debugging output to be useful for
diagnosing the underlying problem, and you'd probably have a second
script controlling the loop which runs the first script, and then looks
for the anomalous output in the logs, to stop the loop.