On Wed 27 Apr 2022 at 08:05:46 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

[...]

>   A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>   recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

This message is from your smarthost, mail.guardedhost.com. It has
attempted to send mail on your behalf to sur...@popcon.devuan.org.
It tell the server at devuan.org who it is and where the mail is
required to go to.  Those are the only two required items of info
the remote server needs to deliver the mail.

>     sur...@popcon.devuan.org
>     host mail.guardedhost.com [216.239.133.245]
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined sending data block:
>     553 5.7.1 <r...@histomat.net>: Sender address rejected:
>     not owned by user bro...@historicalmaterialism.info

However, the devuan server apparently decides to look at what is in
the mail being sent. At least, that is what I surmise from

  ...after pipelined sending data block

It decides to reject the mail on what it sees, not on guardedhost.com
being an inappropriate sender. It sees the sender as claiming to be
histomat.net but really being historicalmaterialism.info. This did
noy bother mail.guardedhost.com, but it puts popcon.devuan.org's
knickers in a twist. It rejects the mail.

(People would go beserk if Royal Mail or the US Postal System opend
every envelope and scrutnised its contents. But this is email and
invasion of privacy is all in a good cause).

>     Reporting-MTA: dns; lenin.histomat.net
>
>     Action: failed
>     Final-Recipient: rfc822;sur...@popcon.devuan.org
>     Remote-MTA: dns; mail.guardedhost.com
>     Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553 5.7.1 <r...@histomat.net>: Sender
>     address rejected: not owned by user bro...@historicalmaterialism.info
>
> The address hai...@histomat.net is owned by
> bro...@historicalmaterialism.info. Omnis mail server never had a
> problem with r...@histomat.net before.

The problem is not with the Omnis mail server. It did its job.

--
Brian.