David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> As it happens, I find I have (but don't use):

> $ grep -i ttyusb /lib/udev/rules.d/*

I actually found this in 50-udev-default.rules:

KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*[0-9]|ttymxc[0-9]*|pppox[0-9]*|ircomm[0-9]*|noz[0-9]*|rfcomm[0-9]*",
 GROUP="dialout"

So that should set the group for ttySx and ttyUSBx also to dialout and
in fact I see exactly that happening in my Debian 11 router which has
devices ttyS0-ttyS3 and ttyUSB0-ttyUSB4:

$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4, 64 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4, 65 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4, 66 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4, 67 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyS3
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188,  0 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188,  1 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188,  2 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyUSB2
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188,  3 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyUSB3
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188,  4 Jun 13 12:12 /dev/ttyUSB4

I didn't find a rule which sets the perms for these to 0660 but
something does that for me.

This rule comes with the udev package itself so it should be always
installed in a Debian installation.

Still, it seems for Gene these are overwritten somehow but I don't know
why or how. I have exactly one USB-to-serial cable I can try to plug in
and see what happens. However it's a CP210x and I think Gene's stuff is
FTDI.