On 2022-08-13, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 10 Aug 2022 at 08:12:11 (-0000), Curt wrote:
>> I never realized that local addresses were fundamentally identical in all
>> local networks because there weren't enough addresses in the first place,
>
> Don't you need them to be identical because otherwise everybody
> would have to configure their border equipment (like routers)
> to recognise /their/ choice as local.

I guess they've got it all figured out.

> It's not clear, either, how you would select your own local
> range without accidentally choosing addresses that are in use
> somewhere on the globe, unless the choice was a fixed, well-
> known set of possible values (as it is: 10, 172.16–31, 192.168).

 The IETF RFC 7084 (formerly RFC 6204), Basic Requirements for IPv6
 Customer Edge Routers, provides a list of features that are desirable in
 a residential CPE device.  The University of New Hampshire
 InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL) provides IPv6 Customer Edge (CE)
 interoperability testing.  The products that they test and certify are
 good examples of products that would be ideal for building a
 dual-protocol home lab. The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) IPv6
 Transition Working Group (formed in 2011) has also concentrated their
 efforts on ensuring that consumer-electronics manufacturers are creating
 dual-protocol devices for home use.  Their CEA-2048, Host and Router
 Profiles for IPv6, effort provides guidance for home router vendors.

 Getting Your IPv6 Addresses
 Now that you have your network equipment upgraded and you are assured
 that your upstream connectivity support IPv6, you can connect it all
 together, power it on, and discovery if you have obtained a global IPv6
 address.  Your home router will receive an ICMPv6 Router Advertisement
 (RA) message from the upstream ISP network indicating that your CPE
 should proceed to use DHCPv6 to obtain its single external IPv6 address.
 The ISP likely operates a high-availability DHCPv6 service that receives
 the DHCPv6 Solicit messages from subscribers CPE and then determines the
 IPv6 addresses to allocate.  After that step is complete, your CPE will
 also send a subsequent DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) (RFC 3633) request
 to obtain an IPv6 prefix (typically a /64) to be used for the internal
 home LAN.  It is important to remember that this IPv6 address block is
 Provider Assigned (PA) and not Provider Independent (PI) and thus,
 non-portable between ISPs.  If you switch ISPs, then you will need to
 renumber any statically-assigned systems.  However, the new ISP will
 provide you a new IPv6 prefix from their block and the
 dynamically-assigned systems in your house should transition smoothly to
 the new address space.

https://blogs.infoblox.com/ipv6-coe/home-networking-with-ipv6/