Bret Busby <b...@busby.net> writes:

> My understanding is that, to run Linux, or, any non-MS operating
> system, with nvidia graphics, especially, if you have nvidia Optimus,
> you need to run Ubuntu Linux.

Maybe in 2012 that was the case? I have 2016 vintage HP zbook gen3 which
worked without issue when I put Debian 11 on it last fall. Nvidia M2000M
video and Optimus, although I'm not clear what this Optimus stuff
does. Video worked poorly with the Nouveau driver so I upgraded to
Nvidia's driver.

External displays work fine, I can connect one to HDMI and another to
Thunderbolt, with a TB to DP adapter cable.

Also, the OP said he has trouble with updating his video driver,
not that his video doesn't work.