hi,

> What kind of file system are the files sitting on?

btrfs.  the system is the pre-installed (on Chromebooks) Debian VM.

> What are the *exact* tar commands that you used, to create the archive,
> and to get that partial listing that you gave?

initially from a shell script, assembling a list of file names and
passing those, ie
  tar -cvWf $arcname $fnames

when I saw the links and started investigating, I tried cat for the names, ie
  $ tar -cvWf $arcname $(cat $fnames)

adding one or two file names on the command line works as expected,
supplying names from list and or file produces those links.

(I only get the digest, sorry for delays)