Hi,

i wrote:
> > test/hardlinks/hardlink_x link to u/test/hardlinks/x

This comes when i edit my experiment output to remove unnecessary
local information. I forgot to remove that last "u/".

jr wrote:
> what will happen
> if I extract such an archive on a "normal" computer with ext3/4
> filesystems?

Interesting question. The identical names might cause problems.

> (don't want to .. experiment with this)

Since i have no experience with btrfs, i cannot create such a tarball.

But you could create a small ext filesystem in a file, mount it and make
experiments with it.
From the view of the Linux kernel the expectable unpacking activities of
tar should not be too exotic. I am quite sure that attempts to link a
file to itself have happened in the last 25+ years:

  $ ln x x
  ln: failed to create hard link ‘x’: File exists

> the "machine" is a VM, pre-installed by Google, and it has more mounts
> than  dog has fleas :-)  (but '/' says is on btrfs)

I know that flea effect from ZFS on Solaris. It makes the mount command
nearly unusable for information gathering.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas