On Wednesday, 21 September 2022 at 13:10:05 UTC+1, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:31:58PM +0100, jr wrote:
> > "What's in the file"
> >
> > file names, one per line. (and, before you ask, '\n' terminated lines)
> This is not helpful. We want to see the ACTUAL CONTENTS so we can
> look for DUPLICATES. How are you not understanding this?

oh dear, UPPERCASE.  copied from my previous post:
  $ locate /jr/ |
  > grep -v -e /.cache/ -e /tmp/ |
  > sed -e 's#/home/jr/##'

that is (one way) how the "ACTUAL CONTENTS" are arrived at.

and you may want to try to re-read my previous post, re locate,
database(s), and "DUPLICATES".

> > "your approach ... is utterly crap"
> >
> > charming. </shrug> (and yet, in spite of your .. low opinion, I do get by
> > ;-))
> Do you need a DEMONSTRATION of how it is broken and wrong?
>
> unicorn:/tmp/x$ mkdir -p sub1/sub2
> unicorn:/tmp/x$ touch sub1/sub2/{file1,file2,'* file3 *'}
> unicorn:/tmp/x$ not_safe=$(find . -type f)
> unicorn:/tmp/x$ tar cf ../foo.tar $not_safe

sure.  I'm talking about a working environment, not a play-skool
situation where we .. make things up to pursue "hypothetical"s.
(again, see previous post) while names like '* file3 *' could,
conceivably, result from a poorly written command-line, they would be
removed/renamed immediately, to quote your good self: "How are you not
understanding this?"

> See how this is YET ANOTHER way we can reproduce your original symptoms?

</shrug>

> You "get by" because you've been getting LUCKY so far.

luck may be involved, who knows, but there's care and attention to
details, too.  (not that I think you'd want to know </grin>)

> Bash has array variables. You can use array variables to hold lists,
> safely, including all possible filenames.

they (arrays) have their uses.  for a simple list of something like
file names in a script, I'm happy to just use 'mktemp' and put the
list in the file.

> GNU tar has --files-from which you can use to point to a file that
> contains a list of filenames one per line. You can use that instead of
> your incredibly broken $(cat $unquoted_filename) nonsense.

many programs support include/exclude lists, 'rsync' comes to mind.
the "nonsense" is quick + convenient on the command-line (don't know
about you, but I have no problems differentiating between a "one off"
command line and a to-be-used-frequently script, and adjust
accordingly)

> But clearly you're not terribly invested in finding the answers to your
> problems, and I'm running out of patience with you, so... good luck.

the problem, in this case, as Tomas pointed out, may be the underlying
file system.
so, rather than SHOUTING and conjecturing and being .. brash, why
don't you "put up"?  try for yourself, on a Debian VM as provided on a
Chromebook, and _then_, perhaps, if you do find cause, you can start
denigrating me.  until then I'd say wear a Stetson, instead of a
too-small baseball cap ;-).