On Tue 22 Nov 2022 at 09:42:34 (+0000), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I noticed the problem just after upgrading to bullseye from previous stable
> Debian version; then I upgraded to Unstable in the hope of solving it but the
> problem remains, with error:
>
>  stopped "Filter failed"
>
> I also tried to remove and re-add the printer with no success.  I'm stuck,
> please help, thanks in advance.

So your configuration is likely two releases out of date (at least).
I just moved everything out of the way and started from scratch.
Because the printer was reasonably recent, it came down to:

$ driverless
ipp://Brother%20HL-L2390DW._ipp._tcp.local/
$

# lpadmin -p brother -v ipp://Brother%20HL-L2390DW._ipp._tcp.local/ -E -m
driverless:ipp://Brother%20HL-L2390DW._ipp._tcp.local/
#

(This is in the absence of being in group lpadmin.)

$ lp -d brother file
request id is PDF-1234 (1 file(s))
$

but I did leave this file:

$ cat .cups/lpoptions
Default PDF resume=true
$

The key was moving everything out of the way and starting from scratch.

Cheers,
David.