On Mon, 2022-12-05 at 09:14 +0100, hede wrote:
> On 04.12.2022 23:09 hw wrote:
> > On Sun, 2022-12-04 at 15:00 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > > On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 03:52:31PM +0100, hw wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > How did you install - what image, what steps?
> >
> > debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> see below...

> > > I think you need around the 5.15 kernel.
> >
> > It was fully updated and the amdgpu module would load after forcing it,
> > yet it didn't work right.  This is something that should --- and does
> > with Fedora --- work right out of the box.
>
> Fedora is a bleeding edge distribution. As such it's more comparable to
> Debian Unstable or maybe Testing than to Debian Stable (like currently
> Debian 11 "Bullseye").

And it works like 97% perfectly fine ...

> Radeon RX 6000 series was released last year. I doubt it was possible to
> use one of these with Red Hat Enterprise Linux ootb in the beginning of
> this year before RHEL 9 was released. ;-)

I don't know, I had NVIDIA cards before and there was never a problem
with Debian or Fedora or Gentoo being too old for that. Last year was at
least a year ago and Debian still can't use the card?  Seriously?  It's
not even some kind of special card (except being way too large) but the
minimum card you can get away with when you have a 4k display (and has
only about half the performance or even less of the 1080ti FE I
surprisingly resurrected.)

On top of that, the AMD drivers are open source and in the standard
kernel and are supposed to work.  It doesn't make any sense.  Who is
cooperative with their drivers now, NVIDIA or AMD?

Wayland still doesn't work with NVIDIA, but I can live without it for
now ...