On 2022-12-15 08:36 hw wrote:

It turned out that the AMD card is not even an option anymore because
it's built so badly that not only the height but also the width exceeds
the slot size.  It's a few millimeters too wide and as a result, the
fans won't spin and the card overheats.

That doesn't means it's built badly, but it simply doesn't fit your needs. I'm pretty sure higher end NVidias typically are even built more badly in this regard. I doubt you will add in here to call them "built badly".

That's like with:

Debian needs to fix that.
obviously not
not with Debian

Your expectation is not a general rule. If your hardware needs more recent Kernel and Mesa, Debian Stable is simply not the best distribution to choose for your* Desktop. It doesn't mean Debian stable is built badly, it simply doesn't fit your needs.

But that's ok. There are many alternatives.

Use Debian testing or some other more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora. Btw: Why not choose RHEL? Typically this is - like Debian stable - not to be expected to run on more recent hardware but currently RHEL 9 is quite new and it should support the RX 6000 series (besides the fact that you came to the conclusion not to use the RX 6600 at all).

On my gaming-PC I'm running Arch Linux. Even more bleeding edge than Fedora (I think). I'm using a modern AMD card in there and I'd say that's much more straight forward than using NVidia hardware (no extra driver needed) - YMMV.

*) To be clear, your individual case doesn't count for a general rule. As a counterexample I'm writing this message on a modern 2in1 flip/tablet Laptop running Debian Stable and Gnome via Wayland for modern features like auto-screen-rotation and auto-on-screen Keyboards. Works.

hede