Am Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 01:06:01PM -0500 schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 12:45 PM Christoph Brinkhaus
> <c.brinkh...@t-online.de> wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity, is link-local IP address assigned during boot or later
> > > when e.g. WiFi connection is temporary lost? How long does it take to get
> > > response from DHCP server? Which way network is configured (ifupdown,
> > > NetworkManager, systemd-networkd) in your case?
> >
> > The 169.254.x.y has been assigned during boot. I have not used DHCP.
> > The configuration has been static. The ping to the router takes about
> > 4ms. I have no idea if it is possible to estimate a DHCP response
> > time. The network has been configured via systemd-networking.
>
> You have to supply a static ip address or a DHCP server.

This is correct.

> Since you supplied a static ip address, then the fact that you are
> getting an APIPA is a bug. You should file a bug report with the
> package (Avahi? Systemd?) that is providing the APIPA.

I assume that there might be a timing issue with systemd-networking. A
comparable happened with fetchmail started by systemd. The head of the
description is

[Unit]
Description=A remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility
After=network-online.target opensmtpd.service unbound.service
Requires=opensmtpd.service unbound.service

But fetchmail starts before the dependencies have been finished.
I am not sure if systemd monitors the services to finish or if it just
starts them in a specific order.

> But backing up... I suspect there's something wrong with your static
> ip address assignment. The address is already taken, the netmask is
> wrong, or the gateway is wrong.
>
> Looking back through this thread, I did not see where you showed your
> static ip configuration. Maybe you should start with that. If it is
> bad, then the APIPA is just a symptom of the [static ip address]
> problem.

This is the systemd-networkd configuration:

[Match]
Name=w*

[Network]
DHCP=no
Address=192.168.0.62/24
Gateway=192.168.0.32
DNS=127.0.0.1

I have unbound as a DNS listening at localhost. But with
DNS=192.168.0.32 the behaviour has been similar.

I have not yet checked the address assignment using systemd-networkd.
For doing so I have to reinstall some packages.

Kind regards,
Christoph
--
Ist die Katze gesund