On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 05:51:30PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > If your policy choice ends up being "set HW clock to local", then you
> > also have to make sure the correct time zone is set on each operating
> > system, each time it boots.  I have no idea how one does that on Debian
> > Live, since I've never used Debian Live.  So, I can hope for your sake
> > that Debian Live uses a UTC HW clock.
>
> You may also circumvent the problem by making sure your "online" OS is
> configured to set its time via NTP once it gets access to the Internet,
> this way, any problem with the hwclock will only impact the "boot".

That works great for the Live OS, but not for the fixed-disk OS.  If
the Live OS sets the HW clock to local upon shutdown, but the fixed-disk
OS expects the HW clock to be UTC, then the fixed-disk OS is wrong
every time it boots after the Live OS.

... unless the Live OS can be configured to shut down WITHOUT touching
the HW clock at all.  (Can Debian Live be configured that way?  I have
no idea.)