On 2023-03-27 07:49:13 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> 2) "apt-get upgrade" does not install new packages unless you supply the
>    --with-new-pkgs option.  "apt upgrade" acts as if you had supplied it.
>    (This is configurable.)

FYI, I prefer to do the upgrades of my Debian/unstable machines with
aptitude (via its TUI): that way, new packages are automatically
installed when needed, and automatically installed packages are
removed when they are no longer used (but if one wants to keep such
a package, one can mark it as manually installed). This seems to be
what makes most sense.

[...]
> Finally, there's one obscure but important difference that only arises in
> specific situations.  Quoting from <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster>:
>
>     If you previously ran buster during its time as "testing", you may
>     see this error when you run apt-get update:
>
>     E: Repository 'http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed
>     its 'Suite' value from 'testing' to 'stable'
>     N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository
>     can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
>
>     In order to accept this change, you should run apt update instead,
>     at least one time. apt will prompt you for confirmation, and then
>     everything proceeds normally.
>
> I.e. there are some situations where apt will prompt you for something
> whereas apt-get will just fail without prompting you (and gives you a
> bogus reference to lead you on a wild goose chase).  I don't know what
> all those possible situations are, but the above is one of them.

This seems similar to aptitude:

Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>