I am trying to launch Thunderbird as my calendar application when opening a webcal link. Though I have updated all appropriate gnome-mimeapps.list and mimeapps.list files and used xdg-mime to query and set the default calendar application, my user session wants to open Evolution. The GNOME defaults for mail and calendar were already set to Thunderbird. If I remove Evolution, the dialog opens but specifies xdg-open and there are no options to choose another application.

This happens in both Chrome and Firefox.

I am running Debian 10/Buster with all of the latest updates.

The following files have been updated to point to Thunderbird:

~/.config/gnome-mimeapps.list
~/.config/mimeapps.list
/etc/xdg/gnome-mimeapps.list
/etc/xdg/mimeapps.list
~/.local/share/applications/gnome-mimeapps.list
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
/usr/local/share/applications/gnome-mimeapps.list
/usr/local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
/usr/share/applications/gnome-mimeapps.list
/usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list

I would appreciate if someone could point me to the missing puzzle piece.

--
Regards,

John Boxall