On 2023-03-29 00:21, Max Nikulin wrote:
Your description is too general, it lacks details. E.g. you did not provide exact commands and their output that you use to check that defaults are set properly.

Max, though I queried several of the mime types (via "xdg-mime query default *****), the one I missed was "x-scheme-handler/webcal" which was still set to Evolution.

        "xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/webcal
org.gnome.Evolution.desktop"

In Firefox check application associations in preferences (settings).

I was able to change the application association in Firefox which allowed me to select the Thunderbird launch script in /usr/bin and then process the URL.

Chrome does not have the same capability as Firefox for application associations and relies on the system file associations.

If you save link target to disk, can you open the downloaded file by thunderbird directly and by xdg-open? What is MIME type reported by the "file" utility?

Yes, saving the file would have worked.

        file "appointments (4).ics"
        appointments (4).ics: vCalendar calendar file

Behavior might depend on your desktop environment.

GNOME desktop.

It is hard to reason whether it should work without details what you have added to this file.

These were queried (via xdg-mime) then added or changed in the files listed:

        text/calendar=thunderbird.desktop
        text/x-vcard=thunderbird.desktop
        application/mbox=thunderbird.desktop
        message/rfc822=thunderbird.desktop
        x-scheme-handler/mailto=thunderbird.desktop

Check entries related to evolution in this file and MIME types specified in its .desktop file.

I missed the x-scheme-handler/webcal mime type which was the root of my problem.

Thank you for the help and push to look closer.

--
Regards,

John Boxall