Le 25/04/2023 à 12:33, Arno Lehmann a écrit :
Hi Yvan,

Am 25.04.2023 um 11:06 schrieb Yvan Masson:
Le 24/04/2023 à 23:57, Arno Lehmann a écrit :
Hi Timothy,

Am 24.04.2023 um 23:38 schrieb Timothy M Butterworth:

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 4:00 PM Sarunas Burdulis <saru...@math.dartmouth.edu <mailto:saru...@math.dartmouth.edu>> wrote:

    On 4/24/23 14:02, Arno Lehmann wrote:
    Yes, in general OpenCL for current AMD GPUs works with the open source
    Linux kernel's amdgpu.ko module.
I don't know anything about this topic, but for such a issue the first thing I do is to search inside packages contents from this page:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

I did that, but there are quite some assumptions implied by this approach, mostly that a file of that particular name is *required* for nay OpenCL implementation with this hardware -- and that is something I hesitated to believe in :-)
That seems right. Thanks for sharing this thought.

In you case, the results might indicate that your GPU is not supported by Debian ?
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=mesa3d.bc&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any

I'll try to install the Ubunto packages later as this may require some

Always this same typo of mine   ^
This is either the reason for, or the result of, me not liking Ubuntu ;-)

serious cleanup first

Well, I did some of that cleanup (essentially it was removing the relevant mesa packages, purging the configuration (removing the entries in the /etc/OpenCL/vendors directory) and leaving the one from the AMD packages behind.

The results were most exciting:
- clinfo had no error messages any more
- I could start OpenCL Primegrid tasks via boinc

Definitely a step forward.

Unfortunately there are more steps ahead, as any Primegrid task using the GPU fails with an error:

opencl error: CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY

As I have no other real OpenCL workload I can try with any reliability, and I also have lots of host memory available, I suspect this due to the messy state of the software or its installation. And, as the installation has definitely not been done in any documented manner, I would not be surprised if that's the problem.

So, the challenge remains to find a way that reliably provides a working system, but it seems as though Mesa is not going to be the way towards this solution.

Thanks for all your input so far!

Arno