On 05 May 2023 15:46, Charles Curley wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2023 12:29:53 +0200
zithro <sl...@rabbit.lu> wrote:

That would be nice for them to tell you what THEY consider a valid
MAC addr, as I don't think Debian produces MACs with z or x in it ...
Maybe they check against a valid manufacturer (which is the 1st half
of the MAC addr, iirc called OUI) ?

See the Debian package ieee-data.

ieee-data, another discovery today \o/
But note that in my sentence, "THEY" did refer to the Ubiquity AP the OP was using, *not* Debian or NM.

I'm curious if the Xen OUI is valid for them (00:16:3e:nn:nn:nn).

It appears to be.

root@freeman:~# grep 16:3e /var/lib/arpwatch/ethercodes.db
0:16:3e Xensource, Inc.

Again, them == Ubiquity AP ;)

Xen recommends using its OUI on vifs, but does not enforce it, in part for the reasons you wrote in your other post.