Hi folks,

there is a question, which is in my mind for many years.

Is there any reason, why not using oldstable, stable and testing together?

I am asking this, because sometimes I need packages, whcih are no more in
testing or stable (for example an older kernel, which is capable to run on my
hardware and supports NVidia drivers), or maybe the kernel is from stable, but
the Nvidia driver (in my example) is no more in the stable or testing repo. Or
some needed software is fiully disappeared from testing or stable.

In the past, I never got into problems, having "stable" and "testing" together
in my sources.list. I always either get the newest versions from testing or I
have to install the version in stable. This is ok for me.

Also some packages I personally need, which are no more in testing but in
stable can be installed and run without any problems.

Yes, it is clear for me, that I might need to install stuff, not needed in
pure testing (like some libs, old java, old compiler versions whatever), but I
suppose, this is the price I have to pay.

I know, from the security side that should not me accepted (KISS priciple),
but what can one do, if either the developers can not switch to new libs or it
is technically not possible at all?

So, do you see any more problems, I missed somehow? Or is it ok from your
view, running testing and stable entries in the sources.list together?

Thanks for reading this! And I am looking forward to the next release in June.

Best regards

Hans