On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 08:29:11PM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 01:01:27PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > Ifconfig has been deprecated in Debian for some years.
>
> It is *not* deprecated. It is just optional, not essential.

I don't know what Debian's official stance is, but if you do web searches
for "Linux ifconfig deprecated", you find MANY results.

<https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/ifconfig-vs-ip>:
    The ip command is the future of network config commands. ifconfig
    has been officially deprecated for the ip suite, so while many of
    us are still using the old ways, it is time to put those habits to
    rest and move on with the world.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifconfig>:
    Many Linux distributions have deprecated the use of ifconfig and route
    in favor of the software suite iproute2, such as ArchLinux[3] or RHEL
    since version 7,[4] which has been available since 1999 for Linux 2.2.

<https://www.linux.com/training-tutorials/replacing-ifconfig-ip/>:
    [...] back around 2009 when the debian-devel mailing list
    announced plans on deprecating the net-tools package due to lack of
    maintenance. It is now 2015 and net-tools is still around.

Those are the most official-sounding references I can find in a few
minutes.