On Tue, 16 May 2023 12:29:02 +0200
Christoph Brinkhaus <c.brinkh...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, May 16, 2023 at 11:02:50AM +0100 schrieb Joe:
>
> Hello Joe,
>
> [...deleted a lot...]

> > > OK, tried twm and fvvm. Both unusable, as a left-click brings up a
> > > menu for a fraction of a second. Couldn't log out of either, had
> > > to switch to console and uninstall them. But they confirm the
> > > mouse problem. It's obviously fairly fundamental.
> > >
> > > Just tried previous kernel, but also bad. I can assume by now that
> > > nobody else has seen this problem.
> >
> > Just as a sanity check, I booted Knoppix, and of course there's no
> > problem, it's just an order of magnitude too slow from USB to do
> > anything useful.
>
> Now it seems as if the issue is related to X or the driver stuff.
> I have three ideas.
>
> 1. Do you have any xorg.conf things in /etc or the related
> directories? Nowadays X is not so bad in guessing the hardware which
> makes xorg.conf and such obsolete. If there are X config files it
> might be worth to move them to a safe place and to try without them.

I can't find anything. This is a relatively new sid (installed on new
hardware, opportunity to get rid of some junk) and I have never needed
to mess about with X.

> 2. It is unlikely, but it might be that some of the xinput related
> programs or libraries have been corrupted. It might help to reinstall
> them.

I have nothing in the apt cache, so I'll need to locate debs. I
eventually gave up and copied out the (possibly) offending upgrade log
and added newlines so it was actually readable. What jumped out then
were three xserver packages (from a total of 118). I located previous
versions in the cache, installed them, rebooted and confirmed they were
now running, and... just the same.

> 3. The comparison of Xorg.log of Debian and Knoppix may give some
> indication.

They look broadly similar, although it is easy to miss things among
that much output.

--
Joe