On 5/16/23 12:07, Brian wrote:
On Tue 16 May 2023 at 11:24:05 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/16/23 10:35, Brian wrote:
On Tue 16 May 2023 at 09:58:45 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/16/23 08:29, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

[...]

But yes, this is going nowhere - and there is no lsb package in Debian, I think.

Andy

.
Couple that with my recent discovery that debian seems to be shipping the
cups from apple, last updated by its author in 2019.

Did your investigations involve reading a changelog?

whazzat? Trolling thru /usr/share/ looking for those is a pita. And far more
often, a waste of time, not containing a useful amount of data.

Mmm. That's a novel way to dispose of the usefulness of changelogs and not
have to acknowledge what appears to be disinformation.
Given that clue, I would be surprised to find a "cups" driver in the debian
repo's capable of driving a newer epson product.

Please give yourself a treat and use 'lpinfo -m' :).

Thanks, I just did and it appears to show both brothers installed drivers
and the driverless, but driverless is not complete for either printer, where
the makers ppd is. for the laser, toner would last forever, very thin,
faint, had to read output, the mfcj6920dw only uses top tray, which is $8
for 50 sheets glossy photo paper. Tray 2, the bottom one has up to 350 pages
of duplex copy paper, the obvious choice, but the driverless driver doesn't
use it.

You made a comment on Epson products and Debian. I was rather hoping you would
address that rather than bringing up your concern with a possibly buggy printer
from another vendor.

Sorry, I somewhat subscribe to the suggestion Sophie is a chatbot learning, and was more concerned with my own problem cups children. But a new kernel on this machine, the "server" seems to have fixed the armbian bullseye machines. epson, given their recent attitude about linux, and I as a potential customer pretty much quit worrying about them since ink or toner for the brothers cuts my per page costs noticeably. I've killed a lot of trees since the early 80's. In a way, I'm glad they wouldn't sell me a new high voltage board, the color reproduction of this inkjet is far far superior to anything I ever got out of the color laser.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis