On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 11:43:29PM +0000, therealcyclist wrote:
> Am Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 07:18:36PM -0400 schrieb Greg Wooledge:
> > If you are running "startx" on tty1 in Debian 11 and Xorg is running
> > as root instead of your regular user account, then START THERE.
>
> I have tested debian 12 not 11.

OK.

> > What video card do you have?
>
> nvidia/amd *seperate systems

Pick ONE of the systems, and go into DETAIL.  Actually RUN COMMANDS
and figure shit out!

What is the ACTUAL CARD?

lspci -nn | grep -i vga

That may not be a strong enough command for all setups.  I don't remember
how you have to grep when dealing with Optimus systems.  If your system
has multiple video cards, say so.

> > Which driver is Xorg using?  (Find the actually correct Xorg.0.log file --
> > there may be more than one -- and find the driver details in there.)
>
> nvidia/amdgpu *seperate systems

Find the log file and ACTUALLY CHECK IT.

None of this hand-waving bullshit.

> > Is the xserver-xorg-legacy package installed?
>
> apt install i3-wm xinit
> don't pull it.

Run "dpkg -l xserver-xorg-legacy" to find out whether it's installed.

I am not aware of any way startx as a non-root user could launch an Xorg
as root if that package is not installed, so I'm VERY curious to learn
the actual details of what is going on with your system.

> > Do you have all the firmware installed that your video card wants?
> > (Look for "firmware" in dmesg.)
>
> firmware-amd-graphics/firmware-nvidia-gsp

Actually RUN THE COMMAND.  dmesg | grep -i firmware

Find out what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

No hand-waving.

No guessing.

No generalizing.

No conflating multiple systems together as if they are one system.

Pick one system and DO THE ACTUAL WORK.

If you're not willing to do the work to diagnose your own system, then
this thread is over.