On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:17:07 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

[snip]

> So all my cnc machines are still on buster, and will stay there until
> wayland CAN replace X11.  wayland is just barely able to run a simple
> gui, and until it can transparently do everything X11 has done for
> decades, its not open for discussion. Wayland is a cripple, and will
> remain so until I can ssh -Y into one of my buster machines and
> everything in its gui works just as if I was at that machines
> keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Until then wayland is still knocking on
> the door begging to be let in.

Wayland's not bad, it just doesn't work for you. I sympathize. I look
forward to the day when Wayland can replace the creaky Xorg system. But
the problem is that so many programs we take for granted haven't been
ported to Wayland; they have to run in Xwayland if they'll run at all.
I'd love to embrace Wayland, but like you, I believe there are just too
many programs I need which Wayland won't support natively.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com