Paul writes:
> Please forgive my ignorance. But from what I've heard, apt and apt-get
> manage packages differently, and aptitude does it differently as well.

Apt-get:

DESCRIPTION

apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may be
        considered the user's "back-end" to other tools using the APT
        library. Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as
        aptitude(8), synaptic(8) and wajig(1).

Apt:

DESCRIPTION

apt provides a high-level commandline interface for the package
       management system. It is intended as an end user interface and
       enables some options better suited for interactive usage by
       default compared to more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8)
       and apt-cache(8).

All of these tools are front-ends for the apt library, which is what
actually manages packages.
--
John Hasler
j...@sugarbit.com