On Sat, 29 Jul 2023, Tim Woodall wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023, Dan Ritter wrote:

Tim Woodall wrote:
This is not a debian problem but I'm hoping the collective wisdom might
have some ideas.

One can be soft rebooted with no issues, the other hangs in the bios.

Anyone seen anything like this and what was the issue?

Both machines are running bullseye if there are things I can check while
booted.

It is most likely either a motherboard BIOS change or a BIOS
setting that differs; it is less likely to be a BMC firmware
difference, but that's possible.

Can you diff the output of dmidecode from each system?

System Initializing...

For approx 9 seconds.

Followed by a single frame (in the capture at least) of:
AST1300/2300 VGA True Color Graphics and Video Accelerator
VBIOS Version 0.96.00
DRAM Size: 16MB

At which point there's a mode change and then the rest of the boot
proceeds.

When it fails to boot I get the "System Initializing..." screen with the
flashing cursor but this hangs indefinitely. I recorded for 2 minutes
and literally the only frames present are related to the flashing cursor

Which makes me suspect that the issue is somehow related to initializing
the video card.

I'll report back if I get to the bottom of this. Going to check the
bios settings related to video - perhaps there's a difference there. I
run both of these systems headless.

Problem fixed. I changed the onboard graphics from AST1300/2300 to Intel
in the BIOS.

That as a bit of a mistake as it then broke the IPMI. So I attached a
screen and keyboard, rebooted, changed it back, and now the problem is
gone.

Tim.