This is not a debian problem but I'm hoping the collective wisdom might
have some ideas.

I have two, nominally identical, systems. Only difference should be the
make and model of the ssd disks.

One can be soft rebooted with no issues, the other hangs in the bios.

They have ipmi, and a power cycle via that will allow a successful
reboot. It doesn't require a power drain.

I'm 95% sure I've tried swapping the disks between the machines - but
I'll reconfirm when I've got a few hours spare. The problem is the
motherboard (or case?)

The motherboard is J1900D2Y

It's not a huge issue, I rarely reboot and can do it remotely if
required, but it's an annoyance I'd like to fix.

Anyone seen anything like this and what was the issue?

For various reasons I cannot reboot the good one at will, so I'm hoping
to gather a set of things to try and check all in one go.

Both machines are running bullseye if there are things I can check while
booted.

Tim