Tom Browder wrote:
> I used to use UPS units from APC back when you could replace the battery. I
> haven't had an UPS (but always on a surge protecter) for awhile, but
> electricity (now FPL) is not as reliable in my new location and I need one.
>
> All the reviews I've seen on Amazon for smaller capacity UPSs for APC and
> Tripp Lite are not that great (I usually concentrate on the one- and
> two-star reviews).
>
> Any recommenndations from fellow Debian folks?

  i've gotten my money's worth out of two APC's.  the first one
i bought for about $70 back in 1998 or so and it lasted about
20 years without a battery change or any other issues.  i did
have to replace it and bought an APC Pro 1000 S as it was on
sale and fit my needs and so far it has worked as advertised
for a few years.

  one requirement for me is that i do not want something
beeping at me.

  i really like is the built in watt meter which lets me
find out how much juice various things use that i have
around here.

  i do not run things for long when the power goes out
but the capacity for my needs is plenty and then i shut
down in an orderly fashion.  most of the time i shut down
the computer system and unplug the power cord and the
network cables and antenna cables if there is a storm
coming through - just out of the idea that i don't really
want things to get fried.

  songbird