On 02 Aug 2023 03:21, Celejar wrote:
when I opened the case, sure enough, the
cable feeding the GPU had burned and broken.

Fortunately, I don't see damage to the system's power cable or to the
GPU itself, just to the 6 pin to 8 pin PCIE adapter cable (the HP PSU
has only 6 pin cables, and the GPU needs an 8 pin connection). I
[...]

I'm going to order another one, from a reputable company this time, and
hope that it was just the cheapo implementation that was flawed, and
not the whole concept of 6 pin to 8 pin adapter cables ...

Cables can burn because too much current (Amps) is flowing through them.
As problems only happen when gaming (or heavily using the GPU), this may be the case.

I think your GPU is drawing too much current from the 6 pins PSU rail.
(Are any other peripherals connected on the GPU rail ?).

I'd also compare the power requirements of the GPU to the total Amps the GPU PSU rail can provide (each rail and voltage has specific specs).

The difference between 6 and 8 pins can be seen like the difference of cable section between a small lamp and a computer (or a microwave). Power your computer or microwave with a lamp cable, and you'll see a nice fire.

If the designers used 8 pins, my wild guess is that it has a reason ;)