On 03 Aug 2023 01:25, Celejar wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your point: if we assume that the fact that
my adapter burned indicates that my particular adapter must have been of
very poor quality, than this implies that such adapters in general are
not dangerous (which, as I've noted, is supported by the fact that
reputable companies sell them, with no warnings that they're dangerous).

You will never find in a car owner's manual that driving on pedestrians may be dangerous ;)

Joke aside those companies just wanna sell products.
Do the products fit you ? Read my previous email: YOU must check.

To remove the confusion : your graphic card is rated at 150W, but it's the MAX power it can use, not the power it uses all the time.
So, until you don't stress the GPU, those adapters will be perfectly fine.
Example from a Win domU, GPU-Z reports ~40W in idle (browsing, videos, ...) for a Polaris20 GPU (AMD RX580), with a TDP of 185W.
That's why you only had problems when REALLY using the GPU.

For instance, let's say you built a server, but only have a RX6600 as video card, a 6 pins connector and a 6-to-8 adapter. THIS will be perfectly fine : your GPU will never exceed limits, as it will at most display a framebuffer.

(To go even further : AFAIK, most graphic cards won't boot without the external PCI-E power connector plugged, but if there wasn't such "protection", as the x16 PCIe slot provides 75W, in my example above it would be perfectly fine to use the card w/o the external plug).