On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 4:33 PM davidson <david...@freevolt.org> wrote:
[...]
Somebody else posts a red-herring link, to a mailing list concerning
the linux distro called Alpine Linux.
 [3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/08/msg00355.html

Then Greg points out, in reply to the red-herring poster, that they
have posted a red herring. <-- Here is where the tree structure view
is illuminating.
 [4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/08/msg00356.html
[...]
(The person who really HAD posted the red herring says nothing.)

What would you have me say? Greg made the correction.

I laid out the details of the process leading to the three-car
miscommunication pileup because it serves as a handy illustrative
example, in response to a question about whether knowledge of thread
structure could affect participant decisions.

Description, not prescription. I'm not here to tell consenting adults
what to do.

Do you really need more fodder from me?

Nope. For my part I am fully up to speed.

But have you noticed the other fellow in this thread, who is now
calling me a malicious liar for giving you all the credit, and openly
fantasising about how underground debian justice-league ninjas are
about to break into my house, delete my account, and swap the taps in
my shower?

Looks like I'm in for a real Amélie Poulain job, it does. But the
joke's on him; I get the taps confused every time anyways, so at worst
I won't notice a thing.

But I'll give you what you want...

I'm not a priest. And, just for the record since you seem to have read
me otherwise, I happen to think everyone's behavior so far has been
pretty normal human behavior, given reasonable assumptions about what
each knew at the time of their respective contributions.

The sheer normality of it is what makes it a good example, and perfect
comedy.

I sincerely apologize for posting an incorrect link to an Alpine
mailing list.  I am so sorry I troubled you for it.  I hope you can
find it in your heart to forgive me for the transgression, and the
inconvenience I caused to all members of the list.

I welcome your evident sarcasm here as a sign that we both agree that
the miscommunication event in question was a very normal one.

--
Hackers are free people. They are like artists. If they are in a good
mood, they get up in the morning and begin painting their pictures.