On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:14:57 -0400 The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

The failure at (3) sounds like what happened when old grub images
were blacklisted in the UEFI Revocation List dbx. Also see
<https://lwn.net/Articles/827403/>.

You should probably stop doing (4).

But this way I would have to disable secure boot to load old Clonezilla.
Disable secure boot, launch clonezilla, restore image, reenable secure boot, start OS.

Well, why do you need to load old Clonezilla? Surely the new version of
the Clonezilla live boot environment should work just as well as the old
one?

I never found backward compatibility in Clonezilla versions, I remember only a forward one a couple of years ago.

The reason is that the new version doesn't work as well as the old one.
It works, but performance has dropped to the floor. Disk image creation is ok, image restore is too slow if destination is an NVME drive.

It's a serious difference, I'm not a maniac that crave for milliseconds.
In numbers: 2.8.1-12 restores a Windows main partition in 6-7 minutes, next version 3.0.x takes 1 hour and 50 minutes. Notice: same image, from same source to same destination.

Latest one 3.1.x are better, but they still take 70-72 minutes.