On 2023-09-28 at 05:16, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:14:57 -0400 The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:

>>> But this way I would have to disable secure boot to load old Clonezilla.
>>> Disable secure boot, launch clonezilla, restore image, reenable secure
>>> boot, start OS.
>>
>> Well, why do you need to load old Clonezilla? Surely the new version of
>> the Clonezilla live boot environment should work just as well as the old
>> one?
>
> I never found backward compatibility in Clonezilla versions, I remember
> only a forward one a couple of years ago.
>
> The reason is that the new version doesn't work as well as the old one.
> It works, but performance has dropped to the floor. Disk image creation
> is ok, image restore is too slow if destination is an NVME drive.
>
> It's a serious difference, I'm not a maniac that crave for milliseconds.
> In numbers: 2.8.1-12 restores a Windows main partition in 6-7 minutes,
> next version 3.0.x takes 1 hour and 50 minutes. Notice: same image, from
> same source to same destination.

Yow. That's a pretty serious regression.

> Latest one 3.1.x are better, but they still take 70-72 minutes.

That's better, as you say, but still a pretty serious regression.

I see that you've filed a bug report [1] about this, which appears to be
getting active(-ish) attention, so that's good; this thread is then just
about something problematic-seeming that you've encountered when trying
to work around the problem.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/395/

--
   The Wanderer